Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 38: Guess How Much I Love You


I suppose this classic book falls into the category of one that everyone already knows about, but I think it is still worth sharing, nonetheless.  I knew this book would make our list from the beginning, but thought of it again today when looking at all the cute, plush Easter bunnies in the store.  (I know hares and bunnies are different and it's not an Easter book at all, but there you go.)  Sam McBratney's adorable story about Little Nutbrown Hare and his father has been a favorite of parents and children since it was first published in 1994. I remember reading this to my brothers when they were little, and was so happy to receive it as a baby gift when my son was about to be born.  There are many books dedicated to the boundless love between parent and child, but this story is one of my favorites.  Little Nutbrown Hare is trying to think of a way to show Big Nutbrown Hare just how much he loves him:  as high as he can reach, as wide as his arms can stretch, as high as he can hop.  Of course, Big Nutbrown Hare can always reach farther and wider and hop higher, but Little Nutbrown Hare is determined to find the perfect expression of his love.  I always make it a point to tell my little ones every day that I love them more than anything in the whole wide world, or as my son likes to say, "in the whole wide car," since to him, that is really the ultimate in love.  If you haven't discovered this delightful story yet, definitely check it out.  Seeing your little one stretch his arms out so far that he almost falls over while saying, "I love you THIS much" is bound to bring a smile to your face.

0 comments:

Post a Comment