Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 32: Just Go to Bed

Back in the fall, I asked friends to suggest some good books for my son, who was nearly three.  I was in a book funk, and needed to find something new.  Several people recommended the Little Critter series by Mercer Mayer, saying they are perfect for preschoolers.  They were so right!  As described on the back of the books, Mayer's Little Critter stories "address all the major issues of growing up," and they are wonderfully fun to read.  I don't know how I had managed to miss these before!  We have since acquired several Little Critter titles, mostly from our library book sales, but this one has to be one of our favorites.  My husband actually got this for our son for Christmas, and I love listening to them read it together.  It's time for bed, but of course Little Critter has too many other important things to do and be:  a cowboy rounding up cows, a space cadet zooming to the moon, a train engineer escaping from bandits... His dad, meanwhile, tries every trick in the book to get Little Critter in his pajamas and off to bed.  I think it's safe to say we've all been there!  My son just laughs and laughs when my husband hugs him and says in his most exasperated Daddy voice, "Just go to bed!!" As with so many of Mayer's books in this series, parents and children, alike, can't help but relate to the story and read it with a smile.  I especially love the expressions the mother Critter has on her face throughout the books, as well.  The illustrations are cute (my son loves finding the mouse in each picture, too), and the stories are creative and entertaining.  There are still many Little Critter titles we have not yet read, but this is definitely a favorite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment