Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 29: That's not my...

I've been making it a point lately to find plenty of time to read to my daughter, who is 8 months old.  She is certainly exposed to many books and hears my son and I reading together at different times during the day, but she is at the age where she just wants to chew on all of his books and gets extremely frustrated when I won't let her.  (She's got her own collection she can drool on and try to eat.)  Some books we can all read together -- fortunately, my son still loves reading our board books, especially those he can read to us -- but a lot of his favorites these days aren't particularly suited to teething-crazy baby girls.  As a result, I really want to make sure that my daughter doesn't miss out on story times of her own.   I always read to her before putting her down for bed at night, and the Usborne Touchy-Feely "That's not my..." series is one of her favorites.  My son loved/loves them, too, and we have at least six of these titles:  That's not my... bear, puppy, bunny, snowman, polar bear, and monkey.  Oh, and we have That's not my penguin, too.  (We've gotten several of these as gifts.)  They make a perfect first book for newborns, with big, bright, simple illustrations and repetitive text.  Each page features a different texture that little ones can feel -- a scratchy tongue, soft ears, fluffy tail -- and the pages are super sturdy.  Most of our books are amazingly still intact after many reads, That's not my snowman and That's not my bear, excluded.  My son loved these the best!  I often wish the textured parts of the page were a bit bigger and there was more diversity in the adjectives used throughout the series, but the important thing is that babies and little ones love them just as they are.  With many titles to choose from, there is bound to be one in the series that your child will love.   They make great baby gifts, too!

3 comments:

Sherry said...

We love these! We must have 5-6 as well. But with two girls we have "That's not my Dolly" and "That's not my Fairy" added to the mix. :-) I agree though that shiny, and silky seem to feel the same in the small space they get. However, my littlest (now 18mo) still brings them to us to read to her. My oldest likes reading them to her/us too.

Linsey said...

I just discovered this blog and I am so excited! I am a stay at home mama to two little girls, and an avid reader. I look forward to following your blog.. I already am loving the choices you've made so far!
My daughters' fave books right now are
"The Belly Button Book" by Sandra Boynton
"The Lorax" Dr Seuss
"Nobunny's Perfect" by Anna Dewdney
Thank you for this great blog!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing, Sherry and Linsey! I am so glad you are enjoying the blog. It's definitely a fun project, and my son likes helping me pick which books to feature :) Thanks for passing along your suggestions! We have a bunch of Sandra Boynton, too, but not the Belly Button Book. I'll have to check that one out, along with the others you mentioned. It's exciting to discover so many great new books and be able to share them with other people!

Post a Comment