Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 54: DK's my first board books

My son just loves this series of books, and even my daughter is beginning to love them, too.  Straightforward and simple, theses DK books cover a range of topics, from colors, numbers, and the ABCs to dinosaurs, tractors and trucks.  There are even holiday editions for Passover, Christmas, and Halloween, and Spanish versions of several of the titles, as well.  The pages within have different themes -- in the animals book, for example, there are categories for swimmers, animals on the farm, creepy crawlies, striped animals, etc. -- and vivid photographs of each topic.  We have several of these books,  and have found them to be engaging and fun in different ways at different ages.  When my son was about a year old, he loved to turn the pages of these books and study the pictures.   When we would read the animals book, he especially loved the "noisy" page; we would make the sound and he would point to the animal that made it.  Now, he goes through each picture one by one, excitedly naming all of the animals himself.  I just love that he knows what kiwi birds, bush babies, tomato frogs, lionfish, and wallabies are! The numbers book certainly helped as he was learning his basic numbers and to count from one to ten, but even now that he can easily count to one hundred, he is learning from the more advanced pages at the end that address the concepts of addition and subtraction.  And I can't tell you how many times he has counted each vehicle on the "50 fast toy cars" page.  One of his new favorites is the dinosaur book, and I have no doubt that it won't be long before he knows the name of every dinosaur and prehistoric reptile it mentions.  Now I just need to make sure I'm pronouncing them correctly!  With multiple pictures on a page, these books are great whether you are reading them with your little one or he is simply looking at the pictures on his own.  (My son loves reading them in the car!)  With so many titles and topics to choose from, the DK "My first" board books are a wonderful addition to any child's library.

6 comments:

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Thank you so much for joining in with the Best of 2011 blog hop. I look forward to reading more of your posts in 2012 :)

Lauren said...

Oh, my pleasure! It's so great to be connected to so many wonderful people and ideas! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I purchased this book for my three year old baby. He loves reading it, just like any of his story books and he is learning important lessons at the same time!

Anonymous said...

This is a really great book. I love DK books, I have a great one about Dolphins and Whales which my daughters love. We also have a DK encyclopaedia which has great pictures.

I have a suggestion of another great book about animals you might like to feature on your blog - I came across it on Amazon. It's called "How Many Friends Could A Bibbolybob Make If A Bibbolybob Came To Earth?" and it's about an alien who comes to Earth and meets a whole group of different animals and gets to know them. It's really fun and colourful. It also covers numbers 1 to 10, because the alien counts his friends.

I love your blog! Best wishes for a beautiful day.

Allen jeley said...

Well post and i read this book and its related to animal and children are also like this type of book thanks for sharing voicemail greeting in spanish .

raj said...

you can listen to a nice the wise kid kids stories read aloud story

Post a Comment