Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 58: Gallop!

There are several books in this fascinating "Scanimation" series by Rufus Butler Seder:  Gallop!, Swing!, and Waddle!  If you've never seen them on display at your local bookstore or library, you've got to check them out.  Seder uses an exceptionally cool visual technique called scanimation to create images that move back and forth as you turn each page.  Dogs run, chimps swing, turtles swim, eagles soar... I know it doesn't sound like much, but believe me when I say that these books are mesmerizingly fun.  I honestly have no idea how scanimation really works, as it is apparently just an exceptionally clever overlay of stripes and still images, but it does.  And it's very, very cool.   There is bold, simple, colorful text to accompany each picture, but in my opinion, the book is really only worth reading for the images.   I don't think anyone picks these books up for their story lines anyway, though, so that's okay.  I find the choice of rhyming sound effects for each picture to be a bit odd at times, but my son likes saying them and thinks they are fun.  ("Can you gallop like a horse?  Giddyup-a-loo!  Can you strut like a rooster?  Cock-a-doodle-doo!")   One thing I do like about the text is that it is simple enough that budding readers will most likely be able to read it on their own... But back to the pictures.  They are simply fascinating to babies, children and adults, alike.  I honestly want to tear the pages open each time I read it to see how the images work, and am secretly hoping that one day one of my children will destroy a page enough that I can see inside.   Unfortunately for me, the books are actually quite sturdy and well-made, so I'll just have to keep resisting the urge to dissect them.  Fantastically magical, these are well worth a look!

0 comments:

Post a Comment