Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 57: The Cat in the Hat

We check the forecast every day
Another rainy day, they say?
Again?? Again!  Oh not again!
Where or where do we begin?
What fun to have?  What things to do?
To keep us sane so we're not blue?
Building forts and castles tall
Restless children climb the wall
Out we all go anyway
Inside again we cannot stay!
Puddle boots on: stomp, stomp, stomp!
Having fun on our rainy romp
Back in again, all warm and dry
"It's story time!" the kids both cry
So many books from which to choose
(If mommy can resist a snooze)
"What shall we read?" I ask my son
(Who never can pick only one)
"A book about trucks or dinosaurs?
Henry and Mudge? A mouse that roars?"
"I know!" he says, "This one is fun!
  Oh so fun on this day without sun!"
Off to our book bin he hopped with much glee
Grabbed an old favorite, then showed it to me
"The Cat in the Hat!" he exclaimed with a smile
And we snuggled up on to the couch for awhile
Turning the pages, we laughed our way through,
I might call my children Thing One and Thing Two
Oh the mess they can make in just two seconds flat!
I need that machine like the Cat in the Hat
But those moments are perfect -- trade them I would not
For the cleanest and neatest, best house on the lot
Stories make some of our best memories
And I'll cherish them always, these days just like these
With my kids on my lap (and chaos all around)
We read and we read, love and cuddles abound
So what story to feature today on our blog?
Today on this humid wet day day full of sog?
The Cat and the Hat!  But of course! Yes indeed!
  Seuss books are delightful -- all of them you must read!
For although it is wet and the sun is not sunny
His stories bring lots of good fun that is funny.

1 comments:

Keitha said...

Lovely! I am reading this on Dr. Seuss' birthday.

Post a Comment