Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 50: Dinosaurumpus


A few weeks ago when we were at the library, the librarian overheard my son singing along to the Animal Boogie as we were reading it.  "If you like the Animal Boogie," she told him, "you'll like this one, too,"  and she handed us Dinosaurumpus.  I can't help but say the words to a funky little beat, and my son loves to dance around like the dinosaurs while we read it.  It's rhymes are great, the illustrations are colorful, and it's just an all-around fun book to read.  It features some of the classic dinosaurs that we all know and love -- stegosaurus, triceratops, tyrannosaurus -- but introduces some other good new species, as well (though I'm not always sure I'm pronouncing them correctly.  Deinosuchus?  Deinonychuses?  I make my best guess and sing on, trying not to interrupt the flow!)  It's actually a really cute story to read before bed, too, as all the dinosaurs eventually get tired from their rumpus and fall fast asleep at the end.  Just like my son, they seem to be able to go from all-out rumpus mode to sleep in a matter of minutes.  There's a fun chorus that is repeated on each page, making it easy for kids to sing along and feel the beat as you read.  "Shake, shake, shudder near the sludgy old swamp.  The dinosaurs are coming.  Get ready to romp!"  If your child loves dinosaurs, dancing, or sing-along stories, Dinosaurumpus is bound to be a hit.

3 comments:

Nebuchudnessar said...

This is my nephew's favourite book of all time. Deinonychus is such a hard word to pronounce, it is die-NON-i-kus....

I am loving your blog!

Lauren said...

Oh good! I've been saying it right! So glad your nephew loves this book, too, and that you're enjoying the blog. Thank you so much for visiting!

Unknown said...

My baby love to read thisbook and specially this Dinosaurumpus book contains lots of fun.

Post a Comment