Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 46: Someday

I've quickly come to the conclusion that my desire to feature wonderful mothering stories this week means it's time to stock up on my Kleenex supply.  If you've been following the blog from the beginning, you know by now that I cry easily when reading some stories, particularly if they are sad, happy, sappy, touching, or in any way emotional.  I am convinced that becoming a mother forever changes ones hormones, making such teary spells inevitable. (That's my excuse, at least.)  When I asked Facebook friends about their favorite stories to read as mothers, Katherine Schuknecht mentioned Alison McGhee's Someday, saying it was so beautiful, she wished she had written it for her own daughter.  I added it to my list, checked it out of the library today, and after just one read, couldn't agree more.   It is an amazingly touching story about the journey of parenthood and all the dreams we have for our children.  In fact, if I can make it through this post without tearing up, I'll be impressed.  Written by a mother to her daughter, Someday tells the story we will all live as parents; about the love we feel for our children from the day they are born, and our hopes that they will live full, complete lives.  It begins, "One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one," and soon enough, the beautiful child who was once a baby is all grown up with a child of her own.  "Sometimes, when you sleep, I watch you dream, and I dream too...  That someday you will dive into the cool, clear water of a lake... Someday your eyes will be filled with a joy so deep that they shine... Someday you will hear something so sad that you will fold up with sorrow..."  And here is where I really start to well up:  "Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I no longer see you."  Someday is beautiful, touching, and a must read for any mother, especially if she has a daughter.   I have already decided that this will be a perfect first birthday gift for my baby girl, and I'm tempted to order a copy for my own mom, as well... maybe even in time for Mother's Day.  Someday, maybe my mom and I will sit and read it with my daughter, and no doubt, smile and cry together.

5 comments:

AMCuprill said...

I LOVE this book! It makes me cry EVERY time I read it, it's so sweet and the illustrations are so soft and beautiful. Every mom should own this book it's such a beautiful reminder of why we have kids and how no matter what we love them so much.

K Schuk said...

I'm so glad you liked it! It's just such a beautiful book - I even teared up reading this blog post! I keep telling my two-year-old daughter that someday she'll understand why this book makes me cry every.single.time. we read it! (katherine s.)

Lauren said...

Thank you so much for recommending it, Katherine! Such a beautiful book. I keep telling my kids the same thing when I read books like this one that make me cry! I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

MamaMelanie said...

My mother gave this to me - I think for my first mother's day! It is such a sad book, but I love it!

Melanie

Unknown said...

Every mom should own this book it's such a beautiful reminder of why we have kids and how no matter what we love them so much!!!!!

Post a Comment