Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 27: Olivia

Olivia is a pig who is good at a lot of things:  singing loudly, building sandcastles, drawing, imagining, and especially wearing people out.  In this playfully silly and delightful story, Ian Falconer creates a lovable character to whom children and parents can easily relate.   Olivia is  independent, charming, clever, witty, precocious, creative, and in many ways embodies all that is fun and wonderfully exhausting about having a child.  She would rather dance around her room than take a nap, or paint her own walls just like Jackson Pollock, and is naturally able to convince her mother to read her three books, not just one, before bed.   Of course, every parent's favorite part is bound to be when Olivia's mother finishes reading that last story and says, "'You know, you really wear me out.  But I love you anyway.'  And Olivia gives her a kiss back and says, 'I love you anyway, too.'"  Perfect, right?  I just love saying that to my son, who, like any good three year old boy, has boundless energy from the time he wakes up until the time he jumps (literally) onto his pillow each night.  And he'll smile that impish grin right back at me and say, "I love you anyway, too."  In his New Yorker style, Falconer's illustrations are also wonderful and eye-catching to the young reader.  Mostly black and white with the occasional splashes of red, his drawings do a fabulous job of portraying Olivia's spunk and spirit.   This is another one of those books that is on my "must own" list, but for now, we'll have to be content renewing it from the library again and again.

1 comments:

MamaMelanie said...

We have this book and love it and of course I love the line at the end too. We have Olivia and the Circus too.

Post a Comment