Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 2: Imagine


If I were a children's book illustrator and author, this is the type of book I would create -- full of beautiful pictures of all kinds of animals from around the world.  Each page brings little ones and their imaginations to a different place -- the rainforest, icecap, farm, ocean, and African savanna, to name a few -- and shows the amazing variety of wildlife that live there.  The geography teacher in me adores this book; I especially love the fact that it has a key at the back telling you which animals are featured on each page.  My son loves looking at all the animals, and definitely knows more of them than I do by now.  When we opened up to the rainforest page this morning, the first thing he said was, "There is the water cavy, and there is the paca!"  (not to be confused with the peccary and tapir... obviously.)   The coral reef, dinosaur, and Australia pages are his other personal favorites. This is a book that he randomly pulled off the shelf the last time we were at Barnes and Noble, and I'm so glad he found it!  I loved it so much we just had to get it right then and there.  In fact, I looked for another copy to give as a birthday present to a friend's 2-year old, but unfortunately, couldn't find one.  I highly recommend this book -- you'll be amazed at how many animals your little reader (and you) will come to know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read this one, yet! I can't wait to visit you and start learning about all those different animals!

Lauren said...

Ooh, you'll love it! It is one of our favorites at the moment.

Post a Comment