Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 1: Bear Wants More


I'm happy to feature this book as our very first great read!  I decided to make this fabulous story my first post for a few reasons.  First, my mom gave us this book when my son was born and we have adored it ever since.  In fact, we have read it so many times that I can easily recite it from memory, which comes in quite handy when we're still telling stories before bed after we've already turned out the light.   It's also a perfect first post, though, because it is about the arrival of spring... and who isn't yearning for spring sunshine and flowers right now?  Karma Wilson's rhyming story lines are delightful and Jane Chapman's illustrations are wonderful, too.  We just love reading about the silly bear and all of his friends!  In this story, the loveable Bear has just woken up quite hungry from his winter hibernation and can't get enough to eat.  After reading this one a few times, we were left wanting more, too, so we just had to go out and get some of the other books in the series.  While they are available in hardcover, some (including this one) are also available as board books; a good thing for a book as loved (and chewed upon) as this one!  In fact, it is one of my favorite books to give to friends as a baby gift.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

6 comments:

Perrin & Jonathan said...

Robert loves Bear's New Friend! We haven't seen Bear Wants More though - I'll have to look for it. Thanks for the tip!

Lauren said...

My pleasure! There are a few in the series that come before Bear's New Friend -- definitely check them out. They are great!

Jen said...

Dear Lauren, I just started following your blog on a recommendation from a friend. I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old so you and I have a similar audience. This is a great idea. I'm looking forward to an entire year of books. I have a suggestion for you: I Took the Moon for a Walk by Alison Jay. This is one of my daughter's and my favorites. It is a beautiful poem that is just so quaint and sweet. The illustrations are gorgeous and the end of the book features a description of the moon's phases and examples of nocturnal things. It's wonderful. Best of luck with your blog!

Lauren said...

Dear Team Braga,
Thanks so much for following my blog and for sharing one of your favorite stories. It sounds wonderful -- I can't wait to check it out! Feel free to pass along any others you might have. The more fabulous books we can share, the better! Thanks again!
- Lauren

brooke said...

We LOVE Bear Snores On! Just learned today that there are more Bear books and got super excited! Also happy to hear they come in board books because we have hardcover and don't read it as often as I'd like because we're definitely at a destructive stage!

Lauren said...

Yes, the board books are key! Ours are very well loved but are still holding together. Some of the newer titles might not be in board book form yet, but I think most of them are by now. Enjoy! These are some of our absolute favorites!

Post a Comment