Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 16: Frog and Toad Together


Frog and Toad are perhaps the most memorable literary characters of my childhood.  I remember reading these stories curled up on the couch with my mom, who recently found my old copies of these wonderful books and passed them along to me.  My son, husband, and I were amused to find my name and phone number written inside the front cover in my earliest handwriting, complete with the 6 written backwards so that it looked like a 2.  Classic.  I had actually already gotten my son his own copies of these stories about a year ago, hoping that he would love them as much as I do.  So far, so good! 

There are a few reasons that I chose this classic as today's featured book.  First, my son and I planted tomato and herb seeds in little container pots yesterday and are anxiously waiting to see them grow.  As we watered our seeds and set them in the sunshine of our bay window sill, I couldn't help but think of Toad in the story "The Garden," the second chapter of Frog and Toad Together.  Eager to have a beautiful garden like Frog's, Toad decides to plant some seeds of his own.  Being Toad, though, he is impatient, and can't figure out why his seeds don't grow right away.  Frustrated, he keeps yelling, "Now seeds, start growing!"  Hopefully my son will have more patience than Toad and our seeds will sprout in a week or two as they should.  Perhaps if we sing and read poems and play music to our seeds like Toad does, we'll end up with a beautiful garden someday, too. 

The other reason I picked this story today is that it features one of my other all-time favorite Frog and Toad stories, "Cookies."  This adorable tale about Frog and Toad's attempts to find willpower and stop eating Toad's delicious cookies is one that any sweets lover like me can appreciate.  "Let us eat one very last cookie, and then we will stop."  How many times have I thought that to myself?  But why the relevance today?  Well, it's Cadbury Mini-Egg season, that glorious time of year when I need to summon all the willpower I can not to eat an entire bag in one sitting.  I have hidden both bags of Mini-Eggs away and refuse to open them before Easter, for once I do, I'll be even worse than Frog and Toad at finding any willpower.  And there is no way I'm giving them to the birds.  "Cookies" has become one of my son's favorite Frog and Toad stories, too, along with my other favorite from this book, "The List."  If you and your little one have not yet discovered Lobel's delightful stories about the adventures of these two best friends, check them out the next time you visit your library.  As part of the "I Can Read" series, they are usually in the early reader section.  As with the Henry and Mudge books, I think Frog and Toad's stories are perfect for little ones long before they can read on their own.  I hope you love them as much as we do!

1 comments:

Melinda said...

We LOVE Frog & Toad!!!

Post a Comment