Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 162: Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes

My friend Julie recently introduced me to this book at a baby shower for one of our dear friends who is expecting her first child in just a few weeks.  I love baby showers, especially when they are for my closest friends, and also love the trend of having everyone bring a book to add to the new baby's library.  It's also a great way for me to get ideas about new books I should check out.  Julie raved about this one, and since I love some of Mem Fox's other books, I was happy to find it at our local library when we went earlier this week.  Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes is a perfect baby gift, and I can't believe I've never read it before now!  Maybe it's the fact that my own little baby just turned two, but I almost get a little choked up reading it at the end.  Helen Oxenbury's illustrations are a perfect accompaniment to Mem Fox's sweet, charming text, and I don't know how anyone can get through this book without smiling and feeling all warm and happy inside.  "There was one little baby who was born far away.  And another who was born on the very next day.  And both of these babies, as everyone knows, had ten little fingers and ten little toes."  The story goes on to feature other babies born under different circumstances and in different places, always coming back to its gentle chorus about their ten little fingers and ten little toes.  The story is short with a lovely combination of rhyme and repetition, making it a wonderful read aloud for babies and toddlers.  Most of all, I love the message that all children are alike, no matter how different their lives or appearances might seem.  If you're looking for a great book to give to a new parent or baby, or even just to add to your own collection, we highly recommend this adorable story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment