Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 158: Stuck

The very first time that I read Stuck, I knew I needed to share it with everyone here on this blog.  My son starts giggling on page three, and by the time we are half way through the story he is laughing so hard he can barely stop.  "It all began when Floyd's kite became stuck in a tree.  He tried pulling and swinging, but wouldn't come unstuck.  The trouble REALLY began when he threw his favorite shoe to knock the kite loose... and that got stuck too!" Floyd proceeds to throw all kinds of things up in the tree hoping to get his kite down -- his cat, a ladder, a duck, his friend's bicycle, even our favorite, an orangutan! -- all to no avail.  You can see why it is so silly and fun to read already, right?  My son thinks it is hysterical that even the firemen who come to help get thrown up in the tree, too.  This is a fabulous book that we all love reading together, which is good because he usually asks us to read it no fewer than three times in a row.  He even read it to my friend's 4 month old daughter the other day (which completely melted my heart.  So cute!)  My only big issue with this book is the font of the text.  It's kind of artsy and looks like scrawled handwriting, which makes it very difficult for young readers to interpret.  Given that this story is certainly geared toward preschoolers and elementary aged children, I'm surprised that isn't presented in a way that is more accessible to them.  Font aside, though, I adore this book and highly recommend it.  I have a feeling this is another book that we'll borrow from the library time and again until we manage to get our own copy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment