Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mother's Day Favorites

In honor of Mother's Day this coming Sunday, I thought I'd share a list of some of my favorite books about mothers.  Some of these are your traditional "Mommy and me" stories that I posted last year around this time, but others I simply find to be particularly touching as a mother.  Hint, hint, dads... these make great gifts from your little one!

Do you have a favorite mothering book that should be on this list?  Please share in the comments.  Thanks!

Someday by Alison McGhee:  A beautiful story that makes me cry every single time I read it.  In fact, I got teary just re-reading my post about it.  This is a must read for any mother, especially if she has a daughter.  Love, love, love this book.

I Love My Mommy Because by Laurel Porter-Gaylord:  Both of my children love this book and have for quite some time.  Ashley's Wolff's illustrations of animal mothers caring for their young are gorgeous, and the board book version is perfect for even the littlest of readers.  A great gift for baby to give to mom this Mother's Day.

On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman:  I'm not sure which is more of a tear-jerker for me:  this, or Someday.  If there is a mom out there who can read this without crying, I'll be impressed!  This gorgeous book always reminds me of how I felt the very first time I held my newborn children in my arms.  Beautiful and touching in every way.

A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza:  An adorable story about motherly love, diversity, and acceptance, this book delivers the important message that the only thing children and their parents need to have in common to be a family is love.

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn:  This is a great book to read with your children before they head off to school for the first time, but its reminder that   our love will always be with them wherever they go makes it perfect for Mother's Day or any time of year.

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney:  This is probably not your typical Mother's Day book, but it might make a cute gift for the mom who finds herself routinely wanting to say, "Please stop all this llama drama and be patient for your mama!"


0 comments:

Post a Comment