Story time is the best time of the day. Whether we're snuggled up on the couch or cozy in our pjs before bed, reading stories with my little ones is one of my favorite things to do. Everyone has a favorite book they remember from their childhood, and every day, parents and kids are discovering new classics of their own. There are many fabulous children's books out there, some of which everyone knows about and others we would have never discovered had my son not simply pulled a random book off a library shelf. I created this blog to share some of these wonderful stories with you. Think of it as a year's worth of the best children's books around, since no day should be without a great story. In the end, I hope we'll all have discovered at least a few new titles that will have made their way onto our list of family favorites. Enjoy!







Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 117: The Beeman

I was thrilled to spend a gorgeous autumn afternoon at our local community farm's Fall Festival yesterday!  There were great activities for kids, hayrides, a chili cook-off, a little petting zoo (my son was so excited to pet "Sally" the chicken), music, farm tours, and of course, delicious home-grown veggies.  The weather could not have been more perfect; it was truly a quintessential New England fall day.  One of my son's favorite books we've been reading this past week is Laurie Krebs' The Beeman.  I knew he would be able to check out the bee hives and beekeeping display at the Festival, so I thought this book would be the perfect way to introduce him to the amazing world of bees before we went.  Plus, he asks to eat yogurt with honey for at least one meal a day, so our honey bear is a permanent fixture on our kitchen table.  Learning opportunities all around! 

The Beeman is an absolutely fabulous story about a little boy and his grandfather (The Beeman), who takes his young grandson out to his hives to learn all about beekeeping.  From the protective clothing they need to wear and the inner workings of the hive, to extracting the honey and caring for the bees all winter, we are given an incredible glimpse into this fascinating process.  The verses of the story are incredibly informative while flowing beautifully from page to page, and the illustrations are equally as enjoyable.  My favorite features of this book, however, are the comprehensive endnotes that are full of fun and unique facts about bees and the vital role they play in the natural world.  Even after this wonderful story has ended, you and your child can learn about pollination, the different types of bees and their varying responsibilities within the hive, how honey is made and processed, and even how honeybees dance to communicate with one another!  And as if that wasn't enough, the Beeman also includes a recipe for Grandma's Apple and Honey Muffins.  Reading and baking are two of my favorite things to do with my kids... I mean, really, what could be better?  I absolutely love stories that are not only beautiful and fun to read, but that also teach me and my children something new.  If you're looking for a great book that is as educational as it is entertaining, be sure to check out The Beeman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment